Fried Tofu with Spices and Herbs
Yields: 6 servings
From The Hodo Kitchen
Who doesn’t love fried foods? It’s so simple — it’s like having protein tater tots. Have this for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a bite-size snack. But on a serious note — here’s a little science behind the frying: Frying tofu pushes out the water and makes it like an airy puff. It’s in creating a light, airy puff that brings out the umami and the crisp nuttiness flavor of the tofu.
- 2 - 10oz. packs Hodo Firm Tofu Locate Product
- 2 pints frying oil (peanut, rice bran, safflower)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 scallions, sliced on bias from whites to green
- ½ cup cilantro, rough chopped with stems
- Heat frying oil to 360F.
- Cube firm tofu into ½ inch cubes and set aside.
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients and toss cubes.
- Carefully place tofu in fryer until crisp and golden.
- Remove from oil, let cool a bit and toss with herbs and serve with chili sauce.